Friday, December 14, 2007

Googling in Gulfport.

Ah, here in Gulfport, Mississippi glad to be well south of all that wintry weather hitting OK and the Midwest. Of course I was nice and safe at home in Florida but duty calls.

Film Scanning Business Update: I've been testing out the new 110 film holder for my Nikon film scanner. Works great in that it gets 110 negative strips thru the scanner unharmed and scanned nicely using Ed Hamrick's VueScan software.
But VueScan still has a couple bugs to work out when using it with the FH-816 film holder on the Nikon 9000ED scanner. I've sent a detailed report to Ed along with the log files. So far Ed has been pretty good about supporting his product.
So far though, I've scanned over 100 of my old surviving 110 negatives, some of which were shot over 32 years ago. I'm getting some good scans but as any photog knows, Kodacolor 400 film in 110 format was one of the grainest (lousiest) films made. There's only so much image data you can pull from a 110 negative (but its far more than can be pulled from scanning a 110 print).
Once I get em scanned, time for some Photoshop magic to pull out image data and make for saving my old memories for the digital age.


Christmas cards are almost done, and I'm getting exasperated with sticking money (and gift cards) in the cards. But the warm feeling of giving (especially to our family and neighbors) more than makes up for it. And Christmas shopping, sheeesh!!! (What Aslin, that new iPhone you want costs WHAT? ). And my wife's gifts.....well there went that lump of $ I was hoping to save for the new digital SLR (Canon EOS-40D) for my photo business. Guess it will have to wait a couple more months.


But maybe I'll see that new HD-DVD , or even a Blu-Ray player under my tree this year. Tough choice between the two, and I'll probably end up with both anyway. I might want the HD-DVD player first since the newly remastered "Star Trek" episodes are out on HD-DVD.

And now I'm drooling over the new Panasonic HDTV projectors (model PT-AE2000). Oh to have that new 1080p model to watch Cleveland BROWNS games on. OK so I do have a HDTV but the new projector technology puts my 2004 model to shame.
That and I'd love to see one of my old cult favorite movies on HD-DVD or Blu_Ray, Night of the Comet featuring one of my big movie star "crushes" from my college freshman days, Kelli Maroney (Kyrsten kinda resembles Kelli, heck Kyrs even had Kelli's feathered hairstyle back some years ago before I met her).
BTW: Glad to see that Kelli is still doing quite well for herself as an actress. Count me as one of her fans for life.
Speaking of films on DVD, they still haven't released one of my older favorites, SkateTown USA on DVD. What is taking so long? Oh it was a cheesy film about the short-lived roller-disco craze but that's what makes it so fun to watch, much like Thank God Its Friday (which I do have on DVD). I keep checking Amazon.com. Who owns the reproduction rights to Skatetown USA anyway?



Getting near time to update the MySpace page with some newer pictures, to include the "Charlie's Angels" pics (the three lovely young ladies helping Kyrsten and I decorate our home for Christmas). I've posted one in a previous blog here.

And speaking of Christmas stuff, good to be getting some of my lost and broken equipment replaced. Someone made off with my Lumiquest kit at a wedding I did and I managed to break a hot shoe on one of my flash units. Clumsy me. But its finally getting replaced.

And to say it again....Merry Christmas to all who read this blog.

No comments: